Local legend attributes the origin of the Church of Our Lady of Solitude in Camaguey to the will of the Virgin, specifically in the second half of the seventeenth century. As the fable goes, a small box fell from a horse drawn cart at this exact location in the late 1600s. It was unexpectedly found to be very heavy indeed. Inside the box was an image of the Lady of Solitude, seeing it as a sign from heaven, the locals built a hermitage for it, which was later replaced by this church, completed in 1776.
The actual building dates back to 1776 and is one of the exponents of Cuban colonial baroque design. The restored exterior of this 18th-century church dedicated to Our Lady of Solitude leads to its well-conserved interior. Big square columns rise into high arches decorated with pretty floral frescoes, above which is a mudejar designed wooden ceiling with complex carved beams.